Saturday, January 22, 2005

Home Cooking - Christmas Candy

I have ohana in Hawai'i, and I've viewed Hawai'i as my second home ever since I was a child. Although I'm a mainlander, I love the taste of the islands, especially its native macadamia nut. I purchased the 'Mauna Loa Macadamia Cooking Treasury', a book devoted solely to this plump, creamy nut, and was delighted with the following recipe from it.

Macadamia Toffee


1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 T water
1 T light corn syrup
1/2 cup chopped macadamias
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped macadamias

Lightly oil a baking sheet (for the gadget-collecting cook, a Silpat works beautifully here; no need to oil it).

In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar, water, and corn syrup. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer reaches 280 degrees F (I let it reach the 285-290 temp. range because I like the slightly-deeper beige color, but don't let it get higher than that.). Remove from heat and stir in chopped macadamias.

Pour onto prepared baking sheet and spread thinly (you have to work quickly here, especially if you're working on a heat-sink granite surface). Let cool about 10 minutes then sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. When the chocolate has softened, spread evenly over toffee and sprinkle with the finely chopped macadamias. When completely cool (the chocolate has resolidified and lost its glossy melted look), break into pieces.

Makes about 1 1/2 pounds of toffee.


My Christmas toffee packages :)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My god, what in the world are you shooting with now? The pictures are coming out SO good. I can never get my flash to come out as subtle as they're coming out, and the optics are so clean.

I'm embarrassed to post the stuff I'm shooting! Egads.

MC

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This toffee sounds amazing. In fact, so amazing that I think if I made it, we'd eat it *all* immediately and make ourselves completely sick! (lol) But I'll definitely be making this the next time we've got friends around to help us finish off the batch...

Cheers,
Moira
http://whowantsseconds.typepad.com

1:41 PM  
Blogger Helen (AugustusGloop) said...

Hi. Nice blog! Great pics--altho' I was dying to see a pic of the macadamia toffee up-close!

Found your site via Reid's 'Ono Kine Grindz. I'll have to bookmark you. I really liked the look of your scallops too... Mmm...

3:35 PM  
Blogger FatMan Seoul said...

Just dropped by. Nice blog. Well done. Will be back later. Cheerio.

12:10 AM  
Blogger foodie said...

MC: Whatever, your pictures are just as alluring~ (and you also have the advantage of being surrounded by photogenic food, photogenic environment, photogenic people... it's quite unfair.) ;) Thanks, I recently upgraded to the Canon Powershot G6, after someone stole my much-beloved elph. It's clunky as heck, but I'm utterly in love with it~

Moria: Thank you for stopping by! It's true, you definitely want other people around as an excuse to make this recipe. Especially with that entire stick of butter (I couldn't watch as I dumped it into the saucepan). But oh, it's worth it. Just don't tell people that they're eating sugary butter. ;) I hopped over to your blog, and I love it!! Will comment more there~

Augustus: Hello! Ah, I have a picture of the unadorned toffee, I'll have to go back and find it on my hd~ I also went to see your blog, and I think it's great! Have you been to Salt? That was one of my most memorable eating experiences in Sydney... I'll add you to my bookmarks as well, if that's okay. :)

FatMan: Thank you~ :) (hope you don't mind that I linked your blog as well, not really sure how the linking ettiquette goes, in terms of asking for permission and such.)

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home