Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Home Cooking - Hawaiian Pineapple and Pork

Pineapple and pork hook up with each other in Hawaiian pizzas, in sweet and sour pork, and in Thanksgiving hams. So I already knew that this recipe couldn't be bad (besides, it was also from the same cookbook as the previous entry).

I had recently purchased an entire rack of ribs because they were silently oinking to me from the meat case of my local grocery store. I really had no business buying them because I can hardly eat 2-3 ribs by myself, much less an entire rack, but as usual, I was easily won over. I lugged them home, plonked them into my fridge, and then began the enjoyable search of finding the perfect 'dressing' for them.

Coincidentally, I also had a lovely, fresh Dole gold pineapple, so I was all set for this recipe. When selecting a pineapple, choose one whose leaves are all green (they'll start to wither and brown the longer they sit around at the store, so you can tell how fresh they are), with a plump, bright golden exterior (I have had a few successes with pale-yellow green pineapples, but it's a gamble that the unripe fruit will come into it's own, so don't settle for that unless you have absolutely no other options.), and a strong pineapple-y scent. As with most fruits, the more intense the smell, the better it'll be.


Easy Local Ribs (from 'Best of the Best from Hawai'i Cookbook')

3 pounds meaty, country-style pork spareribs, cut into pieces (I was lazy and left mine as a rack of ribs)
3 T soy sauce
1 t salt
Dash of pepper
Pineapple chunks
Green onions, chopped

Rub spareribs all over with soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Place ribs, meat-side-up in a foil-lined shallow baking or roasting pan, and cover with foil or baking-pan lid. Bake 20-25 minutes at 450 deg. Drain off fat.


[the semi-raw ribs with soy-sugar-vinegar-pineapple glaze]
Sauce:
1 C syrup-packed pineapple chunks, drained (I used real pineapple, and upped the amount to 1 1/2 C)
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/3 C ketchup (I substituted Vietnamese sweet chili sauce that's served with grilled chicken)
1/3 C vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
2 T soy sauce 2 t grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced

Combine Sauce ingredients; pour over ribs. Bake at 350 deg. for 1 hour or until tender, basting occasionally. Garnish with pineapple chunks and green onions.

Moistly sweet and tangy, with teases of ginger and garlic. FInger-licking good~

1 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

This sounds really good . I'm going to try it soon:)

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home